|Bacon Kettle Corn #SundaySupper |
Author: Susan Palmer
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- reserved bacon fat
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ¼ cup white granulated sugar
- kosher salt to taste
- In a large stainless steel pot with a cover, cook the bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and leave the bacon fat in the pot.
- To test if the fat is hot enough, place 1-2 kernels of corn in the pot and cover. If they pot in about a minute, you are good to go.
- Pour the popcorn kernels and sugar in the bottom of the pot, cover and carefully lift off the heat and aggressively shake together.
- Place the pot back on the heat and every 10 seconds or so give the pot an aggressive shake. Every now and then, lift off the heat to shake.
- After a minute the kernels should start to pop.
- Continue to shake and about 2 minutes after the kernels start to pop, everything should be done. Make sure to listen to gauge when to turn off the heat.
- Immediately transfer your popcorn to a large serving bowl, toss with the bacon and if you like season with some kosher salt.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2013/02/bacon-kettle-corn-sundaysupper/