|Tomato and Feta Soup #souplove |
Author: Susan Palmer
Feel free to swap out the chicken stock for vegetable stock for a vegetarian version.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 28oz can + 1 14.5oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon za'atar
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, plus extra for serving
- In a dutch oven or stock pot over medium heat, sauté the onions with tablespoon of butter until soft and translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken stock and both cans of tomatoes with their juices. Season with the kosher salt, black pepper, za'atar and red pepper flakes.
- Break up the whole tomatoes with the base of your wooden spoon and bring to a low boil (about 20 minutes.)
- Remove from the heat and either using an immersion blender or in batches with a blender, puree until smooth.
- Place the pureed soup back into the pot over medium heat and bring back to a simmer. Turn off the heat and stir in the heavy cream.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Mix in the crumbled feta cheese.
- Serve with crackers, a salad or grilled cheese and extra feta on top of the soup.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2013/02/tomato-and-feta-soup-souplove/