|Bacon and Leek Risotto #leeklove |
Author: Susan Palmer
- 3 slices thick cut bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 3 medium leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven or heavy bottom pot over medium heat, cook the bacon until brown and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels.
- Remove excess bacon grease, reserving 1 tablespoon.
- While the bacon is cooking, halve the leeks and slice into ½ inch moons. Thoroughly clean and dry.
- In a second medium pot, over medium-low heat, bring the chicken stock and water to a simmer.
- Heat reserved bacon grease in dutch oven over medium heat and add the sliced leeks. Cook until they begin to soften about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the arborio rice and toast, stirring for 1 minute.
- Pour in the white wine, and cook until the rice has absorbed it all, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock to the rice in ½ cup increments, stirring occasionally, adding more when most of it has been absorbed. You may not use all the stock - after 4 cups stop and taste the rice to see if it is cooked through.
- Stir in the parmigiano cheese, bacon and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2013/01/bacon-and-leek-risotto/