|Lasagna Soup - Happy Birthday #SundaySupper |
Author: Susan Palmer adapted from Kim Bee @ Cravings of a Lunatic
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 28oz + 1 14.5oz crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles
- 6 oz Parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, shredded
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven on medium heat, place about 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil and brown the turkey until it is no longer pink throughout and broken into small pieces.
- Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Pour in the chicken stock and crushed tomatoes and season with the dried oregano, salt and red pepper flakes. Bring to a low boil and reduce heat to simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add the noodles, and cook for about 10 minutes until cooked through, stirring to make sure they don't clump together.
- Mix in the parmigiano and taste to adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Pre-heat your broiler and ladle the soup into oven safe bowls. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the soup and broil until the cheese has melted and just begins to brown - about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2013/01/lasagna-soup-happy-birthday-sundaysupper/