|Kitchen Play: OREO Turtles |
Author: Susan Palmer
Technically the caramel sauce I made is butterscotch, but we are just going to call it "brown sugar caramel" for now. I like to use this shortcut method when I want to whip up a quick caramel sauce.
For the caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (light or dark), packed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
For the OREO turtles:
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, no more than 70%
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 18 Double Stuf OREOS
For the caramel:
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the brown sugar, heavy cream and butter together until combined and it comes to a low boil. Stirring often.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt and cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick and has a lovely golden caramel color. Set aside to cool slight. If you like you can transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy serving.
For the OREO Turtles:
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until smooth.
- Remove and set your station so the chocolate, OREOs and pecans are all lined up.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a cooling rack on top.
- Dip the OREOs in melted chocolate and transfer to the cooling rack, top with 1/2 tablespoon of pecans. Repeat with remaining OREOs.
- Once all the OREOs are dipped in chocolate and topped with pecans, drizzle the caramel sauce over the top either with a spoon or with a squeeze bottle.
- Transfer to your freezer or refrigerator to set up.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2012/12/kitchen-play-oreo-turtles/