|Sweet Potato and Scallion Latkes #latkeweek |
Author: Susan Palmer
- 1lb sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- canola or vegetable oil
- applesauce and sour cream to serve
- Using a hand grater or the grating blade on a food processor grate your sweet potatoes. Squeeze all the excess moisture from the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together the potatoes, scallions, flour, egg, salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Pour about ¼ of oil in a frying pan (enough to fill the bottom up ¼ inch) and heat on medium to medium-high heat.
- When the oil begins to shimmer but not smoke place ¼ cup sized bunches of the latkes in the oil. Make sure to squeeze the sweet potatoes together tightly to get rid of any extra moisture before adding it to the oil.
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side or until they are brown and crisp. Transfer to the paper towel lined baking sheet, salt immediately and keep warm in the pre-heated oven.
- Serve with applesauce and sour cream
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2012/12/sweet-potato-and-scallion-latkes-latkeweek/