|Homemade Applesauce #latkeweek |
Author: Susan Palmer
You want a nice variety of apples for applesauce, Golden Delicious, Jonathan, Jonagold, Granny Smith and Gala work best. They don't turn to mush when cooked down and have a nice sweet/tart balance.
- 3½-4 pounds assorted variety apples (see above), peeled, cored and chopped into 1-2 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Lemon peel and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup water
- Place the prepared apples in a large pot and stir in the brown sugar, lemon peel, cinnamon stick and cup of water.
- Bring to a low boil and reduce to simmer over medium-low heat. Cook covered for 25-30 minutes or until the apples are tender.
- Remove the lemon peel and cinnamon stick and mash with a potato masher.
- Serve warm or cold with copious amounts of latkes.
- Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2012/12/homemade-applesauce-latkeweek/