|Smoked Gouda Mac and Cheese with Kale and Onions |
Author: Susan Palmer
- 1 16oz box gemelli pasta
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 oz baby kale
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz smoked gouda, shredded
- 8 oz extra sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- a few turns of freshly grated black pepper
- Panko breadcrumbs and additional butter to top
- Bring a large stockpot filled with salted water to boil. Cook the pasta according to the packages directions (subtracting about 2 minutes, as to not overcook the pasta later). Drain and set aside.
- Over medium heat, drizzle a little olive oil and sauté the onions until soft and lightly caramelized, stirring often, making sure they don't burn - about 15 minutes. Add the baby kale and cook until wilted about an additional five minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, in a medium-sized pot melt the butter over low heat and whisk in the flour to create a roux. Whisk the roux for at least a minute to cook out the raw flour taste.
- While whisking, slowly pour in half your milk into the roux, once there are no lumps remaining, add the remaining milk and heavy cream. Cook for 7-10 minutes until the béchamel has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon, making sure to stir every 30 seconds. Whisk in the cayenne pepper, salt and black pepper.
- Turn off the heat and in batches, stir in the cheese until completely melted. Add the onion/kale mixture and finally stir in the cooked pasta.
- Pour the mac and cheese into a 13X9 buttered dish and top with panko breadcrumbs and dot with pieces of unsalted butter.
- Place into a pre-heated 350 degree oven and cook for 30 minutes until set.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2012/12/smoked-gouda-mac-and-cheese-with-kale-and-onions/