|Baked Shrimp Scampi #SundaySupper |
Author: Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics (c) 2008
I scaled this recipe down to feed to hungry people, but it would also make a great appetizer for 4.
- 1 pound extra large shrimp, peeled, deveined and butterflied
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup shallots, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, thyme and sage (about a sprig or two of each) finely chopped
- zest and juice from 1 lemon
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- In an oval gratin bowl, starting on the outside line your shrimp so the tails are facing up and work your way around to the inside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, wine, salt, and peppers. Pour over the prepared shrimp and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mash together the butter, shallots, herbs, lemon juice and zest, egg yolk and panko breadcrumbs.
- Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp (it should cover everything) and bake for 10-12 minutes. If you'd like a crisper crust, bake under the broiler for an additional minute.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with angel hair pasta or rice pilaf, spooning the sauce over the pasta or rice.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2012/12/baked-shrimp-scampi-sundaysupper/