|Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Shallots and Pancetta #SundaySupper |
Author: Susan Palmer
How "shaved" the brussels sprouts are in the salad depend on how soft they ended up when you originally roasted them. I wanted to slice my sprouts, but I had tiny ones, and the best I could do was chop them up a little more without smooshing everything.
- Leftover roasted brussels sprouts, sliced or cut into quarters
- 2 ounces pancetta, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saute pan over medium to medium-low heat, cook your pancetta until crisp and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels, reserving grease in the pan.
- If the reserved grease in the saute pan starts to smoke, lower the heat and add the sliced shallots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and they just begin to caramelized about 8-10 minutes.
- After the shallots are finished cooking, add the leftover cold brussels sprouts to the pan and heat through until warm - about 5 minutes. Toss in the cooked pancetta.
- While everything is cooking, in a small bowl, whisk together the dijon mustard and white wine vinegar. Slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil and whisk to make an emulsion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the brussels sprouts mixture in the saute pan and toss to combine.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary and serve immediately.
Recipe by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen at http://girlinthelittleredkitchen.com/2012/11/shaved-brussels-sprouts-salad-with-shallots-and-pancetta-sundaysupper/