If Spring is meant for cleaning then I’m officially designating Autumn a time for organizing! Thanks to OXO and their Pop Containers my pantry has never looked better. Are you ready to take the #Poptober challenge?
I like to think I’m a fairly organization person. We keep a tidy apartment, I mean you kind need to when two people and a needy pug live in 700 square feet. Things need to have to be in order, kept off the floor and put back when finished. I’m no where near Monica Gellar clean but most days I’m not too embarrassed to have someone pop by my apartment.
However, just like Monica I have my secret closets. The ones that I don’t want anyone to ever take a peek in. You see there is truth to the name of this blog, yes this current kitchen might be slightly bigger than the last little red kitchen, we can actually fit two people in there and cook together. However the pantry space is not what I’d call ideal, at least by food blogger standards.
Bags of flour here, containers of flour there, a giant box of sugar of there, spices in a million containers, rice spilling out of it’s tied bag, half empty bags of quinoa, pasta. . . well I could go on but I’ll just show it to you instead.
This by the way folks is only half of it, I won’t even get to the point of my make shift spaces in our coat and linen closets. It’s that bad in this house. Lucky for me my very favorite people at OXO came to my rescues with their 10 piece Pop Container Set plus Pop Cereal Dispensers.
It was time to get to work.
Little did I know was how long it how take, how good I would feel after it was done and how many varieties of flour I have on hand! I’m not going to lie, I might have sat and stared at those cabinets for awhile and then showed them off to Braden multiple times that day.
Most of my large pop containers went to fill up the various types of flour I have on hand for baking and bread making and since we don’t eat cereal (or keep snack food in the house), I used the cereal containers for my big three baking items – all purpose four, brown sugar and cane sugar. The small containers were great for organizing bottles of food coloring and assorted bags of spices.
Just look at how pretty it is!
As you proceed with your Autumn pantry organization I’d love to give you some tips to make your time go as smoothly and as efficiently as possible.
- For starters take one level at a time, clear everything off wipe it down and then toss anything that’s expired, almost empty or you haven’t made use of in the last 6 months. I guarantee you won’t use it in the next 6 months.
- Next see what loose items could be placed into containers like OXO Pop Containers to keep them fresh for longer.
- Group similar items together, vinegars and sauces are in one area, spices in another, baking supplies are in their own cabinet.
- Make labels! If you are removing the original packing and have similar items this will help differentiate them later on.
- Take your time and take a break, I took about 2 and a half hours to clean 2 cabinets. I took a step back to figure out what was going where and what I wanted in each container. If you get overwhelmed with the organizing, take a step back.
So why should you invest in the pop containers? Here are my favorite reasons.
- First they make the most of your very limited amount of space, since the containers are square and rectangular they fit snugly next to each other.
- The flat lids mean they can stack on top of each other and they are clear, which means you can see everything that’s been placed inside of it.
- The lids also open easily with one hand, if you are trying to pour cereal in the morning with coffee in the other hand and rushing out the door, it’s not a problem.
- You can stop buying more than you need and buy from the bulk bins and store in your POP containers. Since they come in all different sizes, it’s perfect to store grains, nuts, sugars, flours, whatever you can imagine. Plus you’ll save money by purchasing from the bulk aisle.
Want a chance to win some yourself? OXO with The Container Store are giving away a great prize pack worth $500 including their choice of OXO Storage & Organization tools (up to $250), as well as a $250 elfa gift card. The giveaway will run from Monday, October 13th – Friday, October 31st. Click here to enter!
Oh and if you need any ideas, here’s my OXO wish list.
Follow Susan | Girl In The Little Red Kitchen’s board OXO Ultimate Wish List #Poptober on Pinterest.
I was provided with OXO Pop Containers and Cereal dispensers featured in this post at no cost for review for Poptober. All opinions are my own and as always, thank you for allowing me to support the brands that I love.