Don’t forget to check out our new online Bake Shop! Order small batch preservative-free cookies delivered straight to your door!
Enjoy the start of Autumn with this hearty dish of Sausage and Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash. It comes together in under an hour and provides enough for leftovers the next day!
Crisp fall air, changing leaves, apple and pumpking picking, bonfires roaring this is what September is about except wait what’s that outside my window?
No cool breeze?
Heat and summer clothes?
This isn’t the start of September where we get the teases of fall but full blown summer weather. It’s not exactly how I pictured celebrating National Acorn Squash day but hey, let’s go with the flow anyway. The winter squashes are coming out and while I’m still in tomato heaven over here, I enjoy mixing things up between my summer eats and fall foods.
Let’s play a little game of pretend. It’s a game where I’m still not sweltering in my kitchen because I’ve turned my oven on and I’m ready to start eating some more hearty fare.
I admit my squash game isn’t as up to par as it should be, considering how tasty these little gems are. All they really need is salt, pepper and good roasting session to produce sweet flesh that goes with a number of meals. Puree this guy in soup, mash it up and bake it in a biscuit or some homemade gnocchi.
The easiest way though to turn some sweet acorn squash into a hearty meal is to roast it and stuff it. The sky is the limit but I’m partial to some Italian sausage (the spicy kind, thankyouverymuch) and nutty farro. Sweet, spice and nuttiness from the farro is the perfect combination. All you need is a glass of red wine and the sound of leaves rustling on the ground outside.
- 2 medium acorn squashes
- 1lb sweet or spicy Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup uncooked semi-pearled farro
- kosher salt and black pepper
- ¼ cup parmigiana cheese
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Very carefully cut your acorn squashes in half, scoop out the seeds and season with kosher salt.
- Lay the squash cut side down and roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender and cooked through.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, drizzle a little oil and saute the onions until translucent. Stir in the garlic and cook for 15 seconds.
- Remove the casing from the sausage and add the meat to the pan, using a wooden spoon to break it up into small pieces. Cook until the sausage is nicely browned and no longer pink throughout.
- While the sausage is cooking, cook the farro according to the packages directions.
- Stir in the cooked farro in with the sausage, add the fresh thyme and taste to season with kosher salt and pepper if needed.
- Divide the filling between the 4 halves and sprinkle the tops with some of the parmigiana cheese. Place in the 350 degree oven to melt the top of the cheese just slightly, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- If serving just 2 people, wait to fill the other squash halves until reheating your leftovers.
Ready for more squash recipes to get you in the mood for fall foods? #SundaySupper has a great lineup for this Squash Fest celebration today! How are you going to get your Acorn or really any squash fix today?
Starters – Appetizers & Cocktails:
- Bourbon Pumpkin Pie Cocktail from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Spaghetti Squash & Zucchini Pancakes from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Zucchini Pizza Bites from Mommas Meals
- Zucchini Tomato Focaccia Bread with Pretzel Salt from Family Foodie
Pickles & Relish:
Soups and Salads:
- Creamy Dairy-free Zucchini Soup from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Easy Slow Cooker Pasta e Fagioli e Zucchini from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pumpkin Soup with Bacon & Persimmon from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Tofu Vegetable Soup from What Smells So Good?
- Zucchini Cheese Soup from Noshing with the Nolands
- Zucchini Noodles with Basil Vinaigrette from Ruffles and Truffles
- Acorn Squash Ramen from Ninja Baking
- Beef, Butternut & Potato Pie from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Ragu over Spaghetti Squash from The Texan New Yorker
- Black Bean, Butternut Squash & Millet Stuffed Poblano Peppers with Ancho-Guajillo Chile Sauce from Simply Healthy Family
- Chorizo-Stuffed Zucchini Boats from La Cocina de Leslie
- Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles & Meatballs from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Risotto with Butternut Squash, Chicken & Sage from Cooking Chat
- Sausage & Farro Stuffed Acorn Squash from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Cups from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Sesame Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles) from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole from Shockingly Delicious
- Spinach & Mushroom Quiche with Spaghetti Squash from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Stuffed Red Kuri Squash from Food Lust People Love
- Italian Sausage Zucchini Lasagna from Curious Cuisiniere
- Zucchini-Corn Pancakes from The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Thyme Baked Acorn Squash from An Appealing Plan
- Creamy Baked Acorn Squash from Simply Gourmet
- Grilled Zucchini & Corn Succotash from Take a Bite out Boca
- Kabocha no Nimono (Simmered Acorn Squash) from A Mama, Baby and Shar Pei in the Kitchen
- Roasted Kabocha Squash from Peaceful Cooking
- Roasted Zucchini & Squash Galette from Rhubarb and Honey
- Spaghetti Squash Fritters from Nosh My Way
- Sweet & Savory Roasted Delicata Squash & Pear from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Zucchini Succotash Cobbler from The Wimpy Vegetarian
Sweets to Start or End the Day:
- Chocolate Zucchini Bundt Cake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Coffeecake with Chocolate Crumb from Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Chocolate Zucchini Pancakes from Brunch with Joy
- Granny’s Zucchini Bread from Pies and Plots
- Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Roll Ups with Pumpkin Spice Dipping Sauce from Chocolate Moosey
- Pumpkin Cookie Butter Cinnamon Rolls from Grumpy’s Honey Buch
- Pumpkin Pie Layer Cheesecake Streusel Bars from Wallflour Girl
- Pumpkin Spice Latter Cupcakes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cookies from Killer Bunnies Inc.
- Zucchini Brownies from Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Zucchini Lemon Ginger Bread from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.