Welcome to day three of brunch week hosted by Terri of Love and Confections and Susan of The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen! Join us May 5th through 10th while we celebrate the deliciousness of brunch and to prepare for Mother’s Day and summer brunching season. I hope you’ve had a chance to check out my Dutch Baby with Roasted Strawberries and Polenta Cake Eggs Benedict, and don’t forget to read about our great sponsors and enter the giveaway!
Are you a pancake, french toast or waffle person? I feel like most people tend to fit into one of three categories and really only switch teams when one of the offerings is hard to resist.
Me? For the most part I’m a french toast gal. I just love the crispness of the bread against the custardy inside. Plus pancakes tend to be too filling (although I won’t say no if someone wants to go to Clinton St. Baking Co.) and for a long time I was a waffle snob.
I still kind of am a waffle snob. To me waffles come from one place and need to be made one way.
From Belgium and with pearl sugar.
Do you know the problem with that? I was really limiting myself when the waffle craving hit. It was either make my way out to the waffle truck or dedicate 2+ hours in the morning to waffle making.
Yeah, so that kind of meant to get over my waffle snobbery. Do you know how I figured it out? By adding texture to the waffles!
Belgian-style waffles, i.e. the bland and fluffy ones you get at the diner weren’t going to happen. Adding cornmeal to the mix gives crunch in every bite and more flavor than just flour.
Those blueberries? An added bonus for color and taste. Don’t have blueberries around? Add raspberries or blackberries.
So maybe after all you can learn to love more than one breakfasty bread in the morning.
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, plus additional to serve
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and butter and pour into the center of the dry ingredients. Using a silicone spatula mix well to combine the two.
- Heat your waffle maker according to the manufacturers directions and spray with baking spray or grease with melted butter.
- Pour the batter into your waffle maker and top with the blueberries, dividing equally amongst the waffles.
- Cook according to your waffles makers instructions.
- Carefully remove and serve with additional blueberries on top and maple syrup.
- My waffle maker produce 4 large square waffles.
Let’s take a look and see what else everyone is cooking up today.
Brunch Egg Dishes:
- Spinach Bell Pepper Frittata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Corn Souffle from Hungry Couple
- Croque Madame Muffins from Cooking in Stilettos
- Fajita Vegetable Quesadillas with Eggs and Avocado Hollandaise from Sarcastic Cooking
- Bacon, Cheddar, Zucchini Quiche from The Kitchen Prep
- Tortilla Espanola from Savvy Eats
Brunch Breads and Grains:
- Blueberry Cornmeal Waffles from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Busy Bee’s Granola from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Dipped Banana Hazelnut Pancake Kebabs from Food Faith Fitness
- Springtime Sweet Rolls from Eat Your Heart Out
- 10 Minute English Muffin Cream Cheese Danish from Neighborfood
- Lemon Poppyseed Scones from Real Housemoms
- Apple Croissants from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fig and Oatmeal Breakfast Bar from My Catholic Kitchen
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
Brunch Fruits, Vegetables, Sides:
- Roasted Beet Salad with Pistachios and Blue Cheese from Healthy. Delicious.
- Caramelized Onion, Apple and Gruyere Bites from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Savory Truffles from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Orange Marmalade Pound Cake from Love and Confections
- Hazelnut-Blackberry Cottage Pudding from The Vintage Cook
- Surprise Inside Orange Pound Cake from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Strawberry Hazelnut Crumble with Coconut Whipped Cream from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Corn Fritter Shortcakes with Maple Whipped Cream from The Spiffy Cookie