Earth Day is approaching next week and I think it’s great time to reflect on how you are living your life and dare I say carbon footprint on this earth.
I like to think I treat this planet kindly.
For starters, I don’t own a car – I take public transportation or walk wherever I need to go. In the case that I do need to go somewhere with a car I use a car sharing service.
I recycle and when I say recycle I mean everything. Little scraps of paper go into the paper basket. All the glass and plastic goes out and if I can I reuse the cute glass containers!
I support local farmers through my CSA and eat organic, GMO-free foods and seasonally.
What in the world does this have to do with a cocktail you say? Well, the kind people at Casa Noble Tequila provided me a few samples of their exquisite organic tequila to make a cocktail to celebrate earth day.
Of course the first thing that came to mind with the earth is the sun – the sun equals tequila sunrise. This was the perfect opportunity to recreate this well known cocktail.
If you haven’t heard, due to a difficult winter citrus crops are suffering, the price of orange juice is rising, same with limes in Mexico. Let’s not even talk about what goes into making maraschino juice.
Instead I used mangoes and strawberries which are just starting to come into season now in the Northeast.
The mangoes were a perfect match to the Casa Noble Crystal (or Silver) Tequila. With notes of raw and sweet cooked agave, mango and a hint of citrus. The finish is smooth and silky on your palate and balances well with this cocktail.
On Tuesday when you celebrate Earth Day pick up some organic fruit and Casa Noble to make this cocktail. It will be a start to a better healthier planet.
Curious about other ways to help this earth? Here are my own personal tips.
- Walk, ride a bike or take public transportation when you cake.
- Plant a garden, a tree or some flowers.
- Don’t have the space to grow? Shop at your farmer’s market to support local agriculture or become a member of a CSA.
- Buy organic – yes this means your spirits too!
- 2 ripe mangoes, pitted and flesh scooped out
- 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)
- 1 heaping cup halved strawberries
- 4 ounces magno puree
- 2 ounces silver tequila
- ¾ ounces strawberry puree
- Strawberry and mango slices for garnish
- Place the mango and 2 teaspoons of sugar (only if the mango tastes a bit tart) in your blender. Puree until smooth - pour into a small pitcher and set aside.
- Place the strawberries in the blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a small pitch and set aside.
- Chill both purees - can be made ahead.
- In a cocktail shaker combine 4 ounces mango puree with 2 ounces silver tequila, stir until combined.
- Pour into a martini glass.
- Pour the ¾ ounces of strawberry puree on the side of the glass - if you want the more traditional look of a tequila sunrise, pour the strawberry puree first and then the mango on top.
- Garnish with a strawberry and mango slice
- Makes 1 cocktail
The remaining puree should produce approximately 3 additional drinks - or save for smoothies.
I was provided with samples of Casa Noble Tequila plus a small stipend for ingredients. As always all opinions stated are my own.