How often to you go meatless during the week for dinner? Is it once a week on Mondays for meatless Monday or more often because you have a vegetarian living at home?
For us I do my best to have at least one meal be meatless during the week or what I like to call “meat light” aka garnished with some bacon or half mushrooms half meat. I do it not only for health reasons but because I generally feel good after eating a vegetable heavy dinner. Sure some of those meatless meals are cheater ones that’s just pasta but it counts, right?
With this weeks #SundaySupper theme being meatless meals, I really wanted my meal to shine on the vegetable aspect. Like I said, there are a lot of ways to go meatless and pasta is a common and easy one but if we are skipping the meat to be healthy shouldn’t we substitute it with some power foods?
These unassuming tacos are surprisingly filling and nutritious and of course delicious but that’s a give in! Beets may contain a lot of sugar (which is why they are deliciously sweet after you roast them up) but they are also full of fiber, iron and folic acid. I don’t think I need to give you the spiel on why avocados are healthy but I will. You’ve got the good kind of fat with them, plus fiber, protein and a host of vitamins. See power tacos!
Still have doubts about beets because they taste like dirt to you? Fine, I get it but seriously try it. It’s worth the red stained hands you’ll get from working with them. Or uh, you know wear some non-latex gloves to avoid that downside. Anything covered with avocado cream and goat cheese is a win. Put out some multi-grain tortilla chips, a little salsa and you’re set for dinner.
- 1lb beets, peeled and quartered
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or other neutral oil
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- juice from 1 lime, plus additional limes for garnish
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- goat cheese
- corn tortillas
- fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cumin powder, salt, chili powder and cayenne pepper with the oil. Toss in the quartered beets and coat completely.
- Pour the beets onto a baking sheet that's been covered with foil. Wrap the foil around the beets so that they are sealed shut.
- Roast for 40 minutes, remove from the oven, unwrap the foil and spread the beets into an even layer.
- Roast for another 20 minutes or until they are fork tender. You want the beets to have a al dente quality and not be too soft.
- Let the beets cool slightly while preparing the rest of the meal.
- Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop the flesh into a small bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Mix in the greek yogurt, lime juice and kosher salt until smooth.
- Heat the tortillas in a dry skillet until they are slightly blistered on both sides.
- To serve, spread some of the avocado cream on the bottom of a tortilla, fill with beets and top with a small amount of goat cheese. Finish with a squeeze of lime and garnish of fresh cilantro.
Let’s check out the rest of the meatless meals #SundaySupper has to offer this week.
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Broccoli, Mushroom & Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.