Welcome to day 2 of #cookieweek did you enjoy the kick-off yesterday?! Myself and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic have joined together this week with 23 of their blog friends to present to you a week of cookie treats! We have every type of cookie you can think of listed this week, including something for our furry friends! Now is the time to bookmark these recipes for the upcoming holidays and cookie swaps or simply visit our Pinterest board! Make sure you enter the giveaway with some fabulous prizes from KitchenAid, King Arthur Flour, OXO, Silpat and Zulka Pure Cane Sugar to help with your cookie making needs!
Today’s cookie not only has stuffed in the title but it will also stuff your belly full of chocolate and caramel goodness. Are you familiar with the famed Levain Bakery on the Upper West Side of Manhattan? Well, if you aren’t their cookies are about a half pound each, I’m not kidding they are a meal in itself. I was once gifted a box of a dozen cookies and, well to say the least I was a happy camper and I might have only shared a few of those dozen.
Right, so where was I, big cookies. The point of me telling you about Levain’s cookies is mostly to be able to give you some sort of comparison to these. This recipe is not based on any of theirs at all but size-wise it comes pretty darn close. I can put down a fair amount of cookies – after one of these I was full and if you eat them warm (which I highly recommend) well for some reason the warm cookie just fills you up even more.
Now I suppose you could share your stuffed chocolate chip dark chocolate sea salt caramel cookies but why bother? The sea salt in the dark chocolate squares and sprinkled on top gives the perfect amount of savory to balance out all the sweet going on.
One quick tip when putting these together, I found it easier to wear non-latex gloves while wrapping the dough around the chocolate squares. The dough got a little melty with the first cookie due the warmth of my hands, but if you don’t have hot hands then skip the glove part.
- 2½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 2 large eggs + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 bag semi-sweet or 60% cocao chocolate chips
- 1 bag (5.3oz) Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Squares
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using your hand mixer cream your melted butter and sugars for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time until completely mixed through and then your vanilla extract.
- Scrape down the sides of your bowl and mix in the flour in two parts.
- Finally mix in the chocolate chips, making sure they are evenly distributed.
- Unwrap the chocolate squares and scoop out about ⅓ of a cup of cookie dough. Using your hands carefully wrap the dough around the square so that it is completely cover and no part is sticking out. Place each dough ball covered chocolate square on your prepared baking sheet with about 2 inches space in between each other.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the cookies are a light golden brown (they will be fairly pale) and no longer raw in the center. Let sit on the baking sheet for a minute or two before removing to a cooling rack to fully cool.
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week.
- Coconut Macaroons by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
- Ginger Crinkle Cookies by Love and Confections
- Loaded Oatmeal Coconut Cookies by The Cooking Actress
- Peppermint Cream Cheese Thumbprints by Jen’s Favorite Cookies
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Cookies by Beyond Frosting
- Stuffed Chocolate Chip Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Caramel Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sugar Cookie Bars with Vanilla Bean Buttercream by i heart eating
- Toffee Almond Snowball Cookies by Cupcakes & Kale Chips