It’s day 3 of #cookieweek and I’m going to the dogs! Myself and Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic have joined together this week with 23 of their blog friends to present to you a week of cookie treats! We have every type of cookie you can think of listed this week, including something for our furry friends! Now is the time to bookmark these recipes for the upcoming holidays and cookie swaps or simply visit our Pinterest board! Make sure you enter thegiveaway with some fabulous prizes from KitchenAid, King Arthur Flour, OXO, Silpat and Zulka Pure Cane Sugar to help with your cookie making needs!
It’s funny, out of all the cookie week recipes, I’m most excited to share this one and it isn’t even for humans, I think it’s because I get to show off this guy. I mean seriously look at that face begging for these Pumpkin and Apple Dog Cookies. Could you really resist that? I can’t and I have to wake up to that face every single day, usually sitting by my head or on my belly. Lucky me, right?
When I came up for the idea of cookie week, I immediately decreed that cookies for all species were allowed. Why should our canine friends be deprived during the holiday time while we sit and devour cookies filled with items that aren’t safe for them to eat? It just isn’t fair I tell you!
So before we get to the recipe, I have to tell you a little something about pugs or mostly my pug. This breed is motivated by food, they will do anything for you if they know a treat is coming at the beginning AND the end. I’ve seen plenty of blog posts for homemade dog treats where the bloggers pet sits patiently while they take all these beautiful photos of the treat sitting in front of their dog, or on their snout. No, not mine. As soon as I grabbed his bowl to take the photos, he knew something was up and the crazy began. Do you see that look of impatience on his face, it says come on woman stop snapping photos and feed me! I was lucky to get these two!
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored and shredded
- 1 large egg
- Heat your oven to 300 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the whole wheat flour, oats and salt. Stir in the peanut butter, pumpkin, shredded apple and egg and mix well.
- Pour the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a ¼ inch to ½ inch rectangle - depending on how thick you'd like the treats to be.
- Cut the treats out in your desired shape and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping halfway through or until the treats are browned on both sides and dried out.
- Let cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Let’s take a look at the rest of the treats today, lucky for you these are all for humans! Let’s not forget to enter the giveaway below!
- Black Forest Sandwich Cookies by Cravings of a Lunatic
Chewy Cocoa Fudge Cookies by Food Lust People Love
Lemon Cream Cheese Cookies by i heart eating
Macadamia and White Chocolate Chip Cookies by In The Kitchen With KP
Maple Brown Butter Snickerdoodle Cups by Beyond Frosting
Maple Cookies by Total Noms
kitchen-sink-cookies by Texana’s Kitchen
Nutella Cookies by NinjaBaking.com
Nutmeg Logs by Love and Confections
Oatmeal Raisin by Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
Peanut Butter Blossoms by Like Mother Like Daughter
Pumpkin and Apple Dog Cookies by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
Raspberry Streusel Bars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Soft Pumpkin Sugar Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting by Chocolate Moosey
Spicy Ginger Chews by Crumb
Vodka Cookies by Masala Herb