My husband turned to me as we were tasting these Blueberry Pie Crumbles and said “what’s your new obsession with things in a jar?” Well, I told him, individual portions and I like them! So when Walkers recently asked if I’d like to try out their new brand Duchy Original Biscuits, I knew a recipe in a jar was the perfect vehicle for them.
It’s no secret that I love Walkers Shortbread, growing up with them in my house I used to sneak eat them with hopes my mom wouldn’t notice the box was slowly disappearing away. The Duchy Originals brand has some familiar flavors, such as All Butter Shortbread, Stem Ginger Shortbread, and Lemon Shortbread which I’ve used in this recipe. They also introduced a more savory biscuit – Oaten Biscuits – which in my opinion would be great with a soft cheese or a schmear of jam. As someone who cares about products that I buy, I appreciate that these are all natural and non-GMO.
These mini pies/crumbles will be perfect for your 4th of July celebrations this weekend or any time this summer. Put together in less than 40 minutes you end up with that blueberry pie taste you know but without the hassle of pie crust! The cookie crust develops a nice caramel texture from the par-bake and the blueberries are nice and tart throughout.
- 1 half 5.3oz package Walkers Duchy Original Lemon All Butter Shortbread
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- zest from 1 lemon
- juice from ½ lemon
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F. and have 3 6-8oz tempered glass jars available (such as Ball).
- Finely crush the shortbread into a small bowl with your hands or using your food processor.
- Mix the crushed shortbread with the melted butter and sugar until it resembles wet sand.
- Pour a small amount into the bottom of each jar and press firmly down onto the bottoms and up the sides slightly - I found using the end of my citrus reamer worked best.
- Place the jars on a small baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix together the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and zest.
- Evenly divide it between the three jars, carefully spooning it in as the jars will be very hot. Top the blueberries with any remaining crust.
- Bake for 20 minutes and remove from oven to cool for 10-15 minutes prior to serving.