This giveaway has now ended. Thank you for entering.
Panna cotta was always one of the desserts that I assumed I didn’t like. Never a fan of creme brulee, flan or creme caramel, I figured it just fell into the same realm. Last summer while dining at Ad Hoc in California my mind was changed forever. A caramel panna cotta was served as part of the pre-fix meal and what was placed in front of me was a smooth, creamy, thick dessert. All of sudden, I was very upset that I had deprived myself of this wonderful dessert all my life.
#SundaySupper is sharing recipes inspired by the wonderful book Dessert in Jars by Shaina Olmanson today. To my pleasant surprise, she has a panna cotta recipe in her book so I knew I needed to make mine a caramel version.
Shaina’s book is so much fun – baking desserts in jars not only is an adorable way to present them in the table (and to figure out servings) but it’s great for transporting them too. Picnics, a day at the beach, or birthday parties, they all work with desserts in jars. Just do your thing and screw on the lid of of the jar!
Would you like to win a copy of Desserts in Jars? Continue to read on for how to enter!
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (1/4 ounces)
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 3 4 ounce jars
- whipped cream and caramel sauce for topping
- In a large bowl, pour the cold water and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a medium heavy bottomed pot over medium heat place the sugar. Cook until the sugar melts, swirling the pot occasionally, and turns a deep amber color.
- Reduce the heat to low and slowly pour in the heavy cream. The sugar will seize up, continue to cook the cream and sugar, stirring often, until the caramel has completely dissolved. It is important that you do not let the cream come to a boil.
- Once the caramel has dissolved pour into the bowl containing the gelatin and stir until dissolved.
- Pour into the jars and refrigerate covered for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, add fresh whipped cream and caramel sauce if desired.
Recipe inspired by Desserts in Jars by Shaina Olmanson
Giveaway details: One (1) copy of Dessert in Jars by Shaina Olmanson. It is open to U.S. Residents Only and will run from Sunday, June 22, 2013 to Friday, June 28, 2013 at 11:59 EST. I will announce one (1) random winner on Saturday, June 29th. Please be sure to include a way for me to contact you via email when entering. Winner has 48 hours to respond, otherwise their prize is forfeited and I will choose another winner.
How to Enter:
- Required Entry 1: Leave a comment with what you would like to bake in a jar.
- Required Entry 2: Join me tonight, June 22nd during the #SundaySupper chat between 7pm-8pm EST and tweet to me at @littleredkitchn “I’d like to win at copy of Dessert in Jars”. (Added bonus anyone who joins in the chat tonight is entered in a drawing by Harvard Common Press to win a ticket and 2 nights hotel stay for the Food and Wine Conference)
Additional Entries (not required, but will give you more chances to win) please leave a comment after completing each task.
- Like The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen on Facebook
- Follow The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen on Pinterest
Good luck to everyone who enters!
Also don’t forget to check out the rest of the great dessert in jars this week!
Sunday Supper Desserts In Jars:
- Summer Fruit Fool in Jars by Shockingly Delicious
- Banana Split Cakes in a Jar by Daily Dish Recipes
- Baked Cheesecake In A Jar by Chocolate Moosey
- Key Lime Pies in a Jar by Home Cooking Memories
- Fudgy Brownie Mix by What Smells So Good?
- 5 Minute Coffee Cake in a Jar by Juanita’s Cocina
- Strawberry Mess by Jane’s Adventure’s in Dinner
- Mini Blueberry Cream Cheese Pies by Magnolia Days
- Peach Crisp in Jars by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter Cup Cupcakes by Hip Foodie Mom
- Salted Caramel Frozen Yogurt by Healthy.Delicious
- Boston Cream Pie Trifle by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Egg Cream in A Jar by Growing Up Gabel
- Cinnamon Espresso Bread Pudding in a Jar by Country Girl in the Village
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake in a Jar by Runner’s Tales
- Blueberry Thyme Pie in a Jar by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Caramel Panna Cotta in a Jar by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Layered Melon Granitas in Jars by Curious Cuisiniere
- Red Velvet Wedding Cake In A Jar by Foxes Love Lemons
- Strawberry Shortcake with Lemon Mascarpone in a Jar by Gotta Get Baked
- Nutella Panna Cotta in a Jar by Basic N Delicious
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie in a Jar by Big Bears Wife
- Bacon Bourbon Bread Pudding by The Urban Mrs
- Cinnamon Caramel Affogatos by Family Foodie
- Banana Split Ice Cream by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Midori Melon Flower Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Triple Berry Crisp in a Jar by Ruffles & Truffles
- Guilt-Free Blueberry Cream Cheese Gingerbread in a Jar by Eat, Move, Shine
- Gluten Free Pull-Apart Cinnamon Bread in a Jar by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Roasted Strawberry Coconut Cream Parfaits With Toasted Coconut by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Chocolate and Banana Ice Box Trifle In A Jar by In the Kitchen with KP
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here ? Sunday Supper MovementFTC Disclosure: I was provided a copy of Dessert in Jars for my review. All opinions are my own.