RAMPS ARE BACK!!!!
For this limited time offer, you can enjoy the wonderfully pungent, garlic and onion tasting wild leek. Saute it, pickle it, pesto it, grill it, or make a grilled cheese sandwich with it. Do what you want, the ramp is an amazingly versatile vegetable and I love them! They are also only available for a limited time in April, so be prepared for an onslaught of ramp recipes this week and next. I’m here to serve you ladies and gentlemen.
I had all my ramp recipes planned out, figuring I had one more week until they were in and then came the big announcement on Gothamist. Ramps were spotted at the Union Square Greenmarket. I immediately Gchatted my friend Meg, my fellow ramp hunter to inform her of the awesome news.
I can’t remember how next I started talking about what I was going to make with them, but then it hit me. I needed to make a ramp grilled cheese sandwich. Pureed with goat cheese, you have this incredibly vibrant color and really get the full flavor of the ramps. Care to tone the pungency down a bit? Just blanch the ramps for 10-15 seconds in boiling water, shock them in cold water, dry completely and then puree.
On a side note, we New Yorkers love our ramps, I arrived Saturday morning to the greenmarket before my workout only to have my dear ramps sold out about 45 minutes prior. Not one to want to wait until Wednesday morning to get them I had my handy back up in Fresh Direct!!!
- ½ cup roughly chopped ramps, bulb ends removed
- 3 ounces goat cheese, softened
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In the bowl of your food processor, place the ramps, goat cheese and black pepper. Pulse 4-5 times or until the ramps are completely smooth and pureed with the goat cheese.
- Butter 1 side of each slice of bread.
- On one unbuttered side of bread spread half the goat cheese mixture. Top with a piece of bread, buttered side up. Repeat.
- Cook in a non-stick saute pan on medium heat until the bread is toasted and the goat cheese is warm. Approximately 2 minutes per side.
- Serve immediately.