If you asked me to choose something citrus vs. chocolate I’d have to sit long and hard about it first. Many factors might come into place, have I had too much chocolate in the recent past (pfft like that’ll ever happen), are we talking breakfast sweet vs. dessert sweet and finally the type of citrus. In the end I’d probably get the chocolate option BUT like I did a few weeks ago when out to dinner, I went citrus.
What I love about the citrus family is the great versatility of the fruit, you can go sweet or savory and every single meal I can think of can be enhance by it. The tart acidity can break up a fatty dish; vegetables almost always benefit from a spray of lemon juice after cooking; avocados would go brown without lime juice and where would we be without the combination of lemons and blueberries?
I’m somewhat embarrased by the amount I go through at home, right now sitting my fridge I have a box of clementines, two types of lemons and limes. Did I mention it makes me really sad to have to wait most of the year to get oranges? Sure they aren’t local to my climate, but I’ll still only eat them when they are in season to their region.
So the point to my citrus ramblings here? If you haven’t figured it out #SundaySupper is going citrus crazy this week! I’m in love with so many of the recipes listed and we prove my points above that citrus works in every type of dish!
I had it in my mind for awhile to do a meyer lemon quick bread with nuts – pistachios are one of those that I tend to grind up in things or snack on but never focus on. Since pistachios don’t have too much of an overwhelming flavor I thought it’s be a great combination!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- zest from 1 meyer lemon
- juice from 2 meyer lemons
- ¾ cup shelled unsalted pistachio nuts, toasted
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9 inch loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using your stand mixer or hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and airy about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time and then add the meyer lemon zest and juice. Mix until just combined.
- In two portions, add the flour mixture, scraping down the sides in between each addition.
- Finally, stir in the pistachios.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and baking for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on a cooling rack before removing.
Make sure to check out all the great citrus recipes this week!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 31st to talk all about citrus recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.