Welcome to day 4 of #latkeweek, have I left you craving for latkes yet? No silly rhymes to start off today. Just a very simple, very yummy, very colorful latke for you to fry up.
Do you love sweet potato fries? I know I do, especially the really crispy ones. These latkes will satisfy all your sweet potato fry cravings in, hmmm,
2 or 3 bites. Oh ha! Who am I kidding, these perhaps are the most addicting out of all the latkes.
Mild green onions get swapped out for onions and shredded sweet potatoes are fried to a crisp. And always, ALWAYS make sure to salt as soon as the latkes are removed from the hot oil. The purpose? Besides adding much needed seasoning, while the latkes are hot this is when they will absorb the salt you just added instead of sitting on top of the latke.
|Sweet Potato and Scallion Latkes #latkeweek||
- 1lb sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- canola or vegetable oil
- applesauce and sour cream to serve
- Using a hand grater or the grating blade on a food processor grate your sweet potatoes. Squeeze all the excess moisture from the potatoes and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix together the potatoes, scallions, flour, egg, salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees and line a baking sheet with paper towels.
- Pour about ¼ of oil in a frying pan (enough to fill the bottom up ¼ inch) and heat on medium to medium-high heat.
- When the oil begins to shimmer but not smoke place ¼ cup sized bunches of the latkes in the oil. Make sure to squeeze the sweet potatoes together tightly to get rid of any extra moisture before adding it to the oil.
- Cook 3-4 minutes per side or until they are brown and crisp. Transfer to the paper towel lined baking sheet, salt immediately and keep warm in the pre-heated oven.
- Serve with applesauce and sour cream