We are playing in the kitchen again with Kitchen Play. This time we are playing up dessert with OREO.
Tasked with creating a simple dessert using everyone’s favorite cookie to dip in milk, I immediate thought to create something that didn’t involve turning on the oven. With the holidays just a week away, sometimes you need a quick dessert to whip up. For my non-bakers out there, this recipe is for you!
In less than 15 minutes (not including freezing time), you have a scrumptious chocolaty, caramel, nutty treat! Perfect to create with family or to give away as favors at your holiday party!
Playing on the classic turtle recipe, I’ve covered Double Stuf OREOs (any kind will do, but come on, you want the double stuffing!) in bittersweet chocolate, topped them with chopped pecans and drizzled some caramel sauce on top. The most amount of work involved in making the caramel – but shhh I won’t tell if you decide to melt some caramels or use pre-made. We are trying to make your life a little easier!
Oh! Did I tell you the best part yet? Thanks to Kitchen Play and OREO, you can win an awesome prize pack! The sweepstakes is really simple, all that you need to do is re-create one of the OREO creations on Kitchen Play’s website (just click the link), such as this one OR create your own OREO recipe and link back to them. We are getting into the kitchen to play after all!
What do you win? A lovely OREO prize pack valued at $70 which including serving ware from Crate and Barrel, an OREO cookbook, plus so much more!
|Kitchen Play: OREO Turtles||
- ½ cup brown sugar (light or dark), packed
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate, no more than 70%
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 18 Double Stuf OREOS
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the brown sugar, heavy cream and butter together until combined and it comes to a low boil. Stirring often.
- Whisk in the vanilla extract and pinch of salt and cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce is nice and thick and has a lovely golden caramel color. Set aside to cool slight. If you like you can transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy serving.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler until smooth.
- Remove and set your station so the chocolate, OREOs and pecans are all lined up.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a cooling rack on top.
- Dip the OREOs in melted chocolate and transfer to the cooling rack, top with ½ tablespoon of pecans. Repeat with remaining OREOs.
- Once all the OREOs are dipped in chocolate and topped with pecans, drizzle the caramel sauce over the top either with a spoon or with a squeeze bottle.
- Transfer to your freezer or refrigerator to set up.