Swap out the heavy meats and giant loaves of bread for this bright and fresh Summer Vegetable Sandwich Bar. Loaded up with grilled vegetables, cheese, and hearty whole grain bread; this will be your go-to beach and picnic lunch all summer long!
This post is sponsored by eureka!® Organic Bread in conjunction with SheKnows and I have been compensated for my participation. As always all opinions are my own and thanks for supporting brands that I work with.
I don’t know about you but I can’t wait for Memorial Day weekend and the unofficial/official kick off to summer this weekend. May has been unseasonably chilly, and while normally a cooler spring wouldn’t bother me too much (most of my days are indoors), I’m ready for warmth.
Truthfully, it’s all for selfish reasons. First, I’ve been spending way more time outdoors than I ever have in years past – pretty much every Friday, Saturday and Sunday I’m doing outdoor food and flea markets for the bake shop. Standing out there for 9-10 hours in 50 degree weather really starts to sink into your bones.
Secondly, I’m worried about all my favorite and precious summer produce! Are they surviving the cold and extra rainy spring? I know the farmers are experts in this department but it’s fair to have concerns isn’t it? After all, in a few short weeks my beloved CSA begins again and I’m ready for the onslaught of fruits and vegetables.
Once we have the vegetables, the question is what to do with it? Sure we can go ahead and do the same old thing but summer is here; it’s time to try something new, light, fresh and easy to go!
What’s the perfect on the go food? The sandwich! But who wants a heavy sandwich on a hot day? I sure don’t, not to mention you don’t want to worry about food that might spoil if it sits out and about for a few hours. Which is why this Summer Vegetable Sandwich Bar is just what you need.
Let’s build this bar from the bottom up, starting with the bread. Every bit should be the star, including the bread, which is why I love eureka!® Organic Bread. It’s organic bread that’s bursting with rich flavor and tasty goodness. This bread is certified organic; has no artificial flavors, preservatives, or colors; is certified vegan; contains no high fructose corn syrup; and is made with sustainable packaging. Seriously, what is not to love? You’re pretty much getting all that home-baked bread goodness without going through the steps of making bread, and you can find it at your local grocery store.
We have the bread down pat and now comes the fillings. I’m all for giving everyone the option to pick and choose their sandwich fixings. Having a selection of hearty vegetables that you can toss on the grill but then pack up to serve later is your best bet.
We don’t stop there though, oh no! Next are the cheese and spreads. Deli sliced cheese is easiest way to build your sandwich, but some whipped feta gives a huge boost of flavor and is easy to spread too!
Here’s what you’ll need to build your Summer Vegetable Sandwich Board:
- eureka!® Organic Bread SAAA-WHEAT® or SEEDS THE DAY®
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch planks and grilled
- 3 assorted bell peppers, roasted and sliced
- 3-4 Portobello mushrooms, grilled and sliced
- 1 small bunch asparagus, grilled
- 1 small bunch tomatoes on the vine, served whole or sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced sharp cheddar
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Whipped Feta Spread (recipe to follow)
- Pickled Onions (recipe to follow)
- 8 ounces Bulgarian feta, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the feta, olive oil, basil, lemon zest and black pepper in your food processor.
- Pulse about 10-12 times until the feta is smooth.
- Scrape the spread into a bowl and serve a room temperature.
- Store remaining spread in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks.
- ½ cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon cane sugar
- 1 small to medium red onion
- In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, salt and sugar until it dissolved.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice the onions into rounds.
- Place the onions in the bowl with the pickling liquid and sit out at room temperature for an hour to pickle.
- Save remaining onions in a canning jar or glass container for up to 1 week with pickling liquid.
What’s your all-time favorite sandwich? Tell me about it in the comments for a chance to win a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
1. Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
2. Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
3. Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
4. For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older (or nineteen (19) years of age or older in Alabama and Nebraska). Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 2 business days to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 5/27/16 – 6/27/16